Cokanasiga to Ospreys

Moderator: Sandydragon

Numbers

Re: Cokanasiga to Ospreys

Post by Numbers »

The Hartpury Academy and the Exeter Academy have a fair amount of Welsh born players, I suppose it's players like Hathaway who was born in Haverford West that we don't want to be losing to the English team. There are a lot of Welsh people who move to England for work, whereas the opposite is not true to anything like the same extent, and then their children are developed through the English system accordingly, it's not really the fault of England when they select these eligible players, it's not like we wouldn't do the same in that scenario if the players were good enough and willing, I personally think the buck stops with the player, it's their decision ultimately.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

When Feyi-Waboso is the only recent example anyone can give, it feels like an issue is being made out of very little.

There are several examples of players who have represented England at age grade level and switched to Wales at senior level - off the top of my head Ross Moriarty and Johnny Williams for example. Protheroe would be another if he picks up a cap. What’s to say Hathaway won't be the same?
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Scrumhead wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:42 am When Feyi-Waboso is the only recent example anyone can give, it feels like an issue is being made out of very little.
Dewi Morris is sad that he doesn't count as "recent" anymore.

That's literally the only 2 Welshmen to play for England (seniors) that I can think of.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

I did notice Iwan Stephens is heading to Cardiff. He might not be at the same level as IFW, but with a bit of nurturing and game time, I think he has the potential to be a test-calibre winger.

Sure, his parentage is Welsh but he’s spent his entire life and rugby development in England (including at U20 level). IMO, that is a clear example of you benefiting from our system.
Numbers

Post by Numbers »

Scrumhead wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:14 am I did notice Iwan Stephens is heading to Cardiff. He might not be at the same level as IFW, but with a bit of nurturing and game time, I think he has the potential to be a test-calibre winger.

Sure, his parentage is Welsh but he’s spent his entire life and rugby development in England (including at U20 level). IMO, that is a clear example of you benefiting from our system.
Harry Randall..
Puja

Post by Puja »

Given that Hathaway has managed to escape the nefarious entanglements of the English and go on to represent Wales, are we now okay to work on the basis that this isn't actually a real problem?

Puja
Backist Monk
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Puja wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:01 pm Given that Hathaway has managed to escape the nefarious entanglements of the English and go on to represent Wales, are we now okay to work on the basis that this isn't actually a real problem?

Puja
Nope. This remains a problem for The future.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Sandydragon wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:26 pm
Puja wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:01 pm Given that Hathaway has managed to escape the nefarious entanglements of the English and go on to represent Wales, are we now okay to work on the basis that this isn't actually a real problem?

Puja
Nope. This remains a problem for The future.
We won't be happy till Feyi-Waboso has joined the NFL. And even then we won't be happy.