Good TV Shows

Numbers

Re: Good TV Shows

Post by Numbers »

Banquo wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:10 pmKin. Kin good.
Yeah, I enjoyed that too, for anyone who hasn't seen Dopesick which was originally on Disney it's now on BBC iPlayer, it's very good.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Numbers wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:40 am
Banquo wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:10 pmKin. Kin good.
Yeah, I enjoyed that too, for anyone who hasn't seen Dopesick which was originally on Disney it's now on BBC iPlayer, it's very good.
Yes, I hadn't seen Dopesick before - really good TV.
Son of Mathonwy

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:13 am New season of Doctor Who. It's really not good. Space Babies is about as good as the title suggests, and seemed to be aimed at 8 year olds. It really isn't worth analysing. The Devil's Chord was better but was just a story about magic - anything could happen - and in the end seemed to be about who could ham it up the most. And the Doctor and Ruby - I'm not blaming the actors here but, Jesus if they could stop bigging themselves and each other up for a moment we might get a story.
Third episode - Boom. There was some reason to think this might be good - it's the first story written by Steven Moffat since 2017. Unfortunately, there's no sign that he spent much of the last 7 years thinking of this one. It has to be his worst. There's an okay idea in there and some nice lines, but everything else, almost everything that actually happens in the story is simply stupid. And this narcissistic new Doctor is starting to irritate. Despite this it's probably the best episode so far, or should I say, the least bad.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:48 pm
Son of Mathonwy wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:13 am New season of Doctor Who. It's really not good. Space Babies is about as good as the title suggests, and seemed to be aimed at 8 year olds. It really isn't worth analysing. The Devil's Chord was better but was just a story about magic - anything could happen - and in the end seemed to be about who could ham it up the most. And the Doctor and Ruby - I'm not blaming the actors here but, Jesus if they could stop bigging themselves and each other up for a moment we might get a story.
Third episode - Boom. There was some reason to think this might be good - it's the first story written by Steven Moffat since 2017. Unfortunately, there's no sign that he spent much of the last 7 years thinking of this one. It has to be his worst. There's an okay idea in there and some nice lines, but everything else, almost everything that actually happens in the story is simply stupid. And this narcissistic new Doctor is starting to irritate. Despite this it's probably the best episode so far, or should I say, the least bad.
73 yards was also extraordinarily average - I hate stories where literally everything is undone at the end and not a single person remembers. What was the point of me watching if none of it mattered or even happened and there has been no effect on anyone whatsoever? The annoying thing is that there was almost a good episode in there and that's been the same with all of the first four - there's good ideas without ever coming together into a good episode.

However the latest one, Dot and Bubble, is excellent. Could eaily have been a clunky allegory with the subtlety of a brick through a window, but I thought it was very much back to the quality that we were expecting of RTD. I did enjoy the reveal at the end, which I did not pick up on the clues for at all.
► Show Spoiler
Puja
Backist Monk
Son of Mathonwy

Puja wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:24 am
73 yards was also extraordinarily average - I hate stories where literally everything is undone at the end and not a single person remembers. What was the point of me watching if none of it mattered or even happened and there has been no effect on anyone whatsoever? The annoying thing is that there was almost a good episode in there and that's been the same with all of the first four - there's good ideas without ever coming together into a good episode.

However the latest one, Dot and Bubble, is excellent. Could eaily have been a clunky allegory with the subtlety of a brick through a window, but I thought it was very much back to the quality that we were expecting of RTD. I did enjoy the reveal at the end, which I did not pick up on the clues for at all.
► Show Spoiler
Puja
73 Yards had a good atmosphere and some nice ideas (if not exactly original), but was ruined by the end which didn't even attempt to explain anything in the story. And it was not just ambiguous - it didn't make sense - there was no explanation which would have tied it all together. Although some have said that was deliberate I think it's more likely that RTD didn't have a great explanation either, so simply left it that way. I get that it was a *magic* story but you can't just say *magic* whenever something doesn't make sense.

Agreed, Dot and Bubble is the best so far, in fact is the only good episode so far. I wouldn't go as far as calling it excellent but it was good.
► Show Spoiler
Puja

Post by Puja »

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:14 pm

► Show Spoiler
Puja
73 Yards had a good atmosphere and some nice ideas (if not exactly original), but was ruined by the end which didn't even attempt to explain anything in the story. And it was not just ambiguous - it didn't make sense - there was no explanation which would have tied it all together. Although some have said that was deliberate I think it's more likely that RTD didn't have a great explanation either, so simply left it that way. I get that it was a *magic* story but you can't just say *magic* whenever something doesn't make sense.

Agreed, Dot and Bubble is the best so far, in fact is the only good episode so far. I wouldn't go as far as calling it excellent but it was good.
► Show Spoiler
Yeah, 73 Yards really did feel like someone had a couple of really cool ideas and didn't get enough time workshopping to turn it into an actual cohesive story.
► Show Spoiler
Puja
Backist Monk
Son of Mathonwy

Puja wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:11 pm

► Show Spoiler
Puja

► Show Spoiler
Yeah, 73 Yards really did feel like someone had a couple of really cool ideas and didn't get enough time workshopping to turn it into an actual cohesive story.
► Show Spoiler
Puja
Yeah, 73 yards could have done with a script editor. Being written by the producer means quality control may be lacking. RTD has perhaps taken on too much, writing 6 of 8 episodes.
► Show Spoiler
Son of Mathonwy

Son of Mathonwy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:31 pm
Puja wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:11 pm

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Puja
Yeah, 73 yards could have done with a script editor. Being written by the producer means quality control may be lacking. RTD has perhaps taken on too much, writing 6 of 8 episodes.
► Show Spoiler
The latest episode, Rogue, was not great. It seemed to be one third 'ooh, it's like Bridgerton', one third fan fiction of what would happen if the Doctor pulled Jack Harkness, and one third dismal, unoriginal, shape-changing alien threat.

Production values were very good, acting good, but that's about it.

Jeezus. The Doctor's main goal for the first 20 minutes is how to get off with the charming man he finds, before beginning to think about taking some urgent action to save lives (too late for some). I get that each Doctor has his or her or their own personality but they are broadly the same person. This doesn't seem right.