Busy Bees at the Hive - Edinburgh 23/24

Moderator: OptimisticJock

BaldiePete

Re: Busy Bees at the Hive - Edinburgh 23/24

Post by BaldiePete »

I’m on holiday in Englandshire with no access to the match. Typical, they wait till I can’t watch to play a half decent match. Or a decent half match, there’s plenty of time to fuck it up in the 2nd half.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

BaldiePete wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:29 pm I’m on holiday in Englandshire with no access to the match. Typical, they wait till I can’t watch to play a half decent match. Or a decent half match, there’s plenty of time to fuck it up in the 2nd half.
Bang on assessment. Pretty much blown away so far. They have absolutely nothing in attack to keep the opposition defence honest. 30-16, 65 gone.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Without knowing anything about how the match went you’d say that a 36-30 defeat in South Africa with three tries scored was a respectable defeat. Did the Sharks take their feet off the gas at the end? I see that all our tries were scored by forwards, so I’ll guess any attack by the backs was completely toothless.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

BaldiePete wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:28 pm Without knowing anything about how the match went you’d say that a 36-30 defeat in South Africa with three tries scored was a respectable defeat. Did the Sharks take their feet off the gas at the end? I see that all our tries were scored by forwards, so I’ll guess any attack by the backs was completely toothless.
Pretty much, yes. Sharks had it in the bag with about ten to go. The last try was in injury time - sharks clearly not that arsed by then.

Edinburgh’s attack was like watching Scotland for most of the first two decades of pro rugby. Chuck it about a bit until you get into the opposition 22, then adopt an eminently containable, up-the-jumper Plan A with no Plan B whatsoever. Ok, it’s against the Sharks’ A-team in Durban, but that’s all the more reason to at least try and have something different up your sleeve.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

I’m not sure if Edinburgh even have a sleeve this season.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Price to stay at Edinburgh for next season. Presumably it’s no longer a loan since I doubt Glasgow want him back.

https://edinburghrugby.org/news-and-fea ... ital-stay/
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Edinburgh with one of the most incompetent halves of rugby I’ve seen. Utterly abject.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Ritchie and Goosen have been good. Everett looks like his dug has just died. I went to the same school as him - Dundee High School - I don't actually remember him despite being similar age and not a huge school. 🤣
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Thankfully much better in the 2nd half and Edinburgh somehow managed to run out easy 43-18 winners in the end. Bennett’s try was unbelievably jammy, getting the bounce off the covering player but some nice work for the others. Goosen got player of the match but I think it equally could have gone to Ritchie who had one of the best games he’s had for quite a while.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

BaldiePete wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:25 pm Thankfully much better in the 2nd half and Edinburgh somehow managed to run out easy 43-18 winners in the end. Bennett’s try was unbelievably jammy, getting the bounce off the covering player but some nice work for the others. Goosen got player of the match but I think it equally could have gone to Ritchie who had one of the best games he’s had for quite a while.
Goosen had such a terrific first half he kept Edinburgh in the game, desrved MoM for that, but agree Richie was good

Bennet's try - jammy in a sense, but had he not regathered it it was a pen try and Fifita in the bin
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Currie seems to move positions a lot.

Does Boyle get much meaningful time? Feels like he gets a lot of short runs off the bench.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Mikey Brown wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:56 pm Currie seems to move positions a lot.

Does Boyle get much meaningful time? Feels like he gets a lot of short runs off the bench.
Currie seems to be adaptable enough to fit in right across the back line. With all the back 3 injuries it’s all hands to the pump and play whoever is fit wherever they’re needed. He’s was better on the wing than Chris Dean has been. He’s definitely got potential and I’d like to see him get a good run at centre. Boyle does seem to only get games off the bench but there’s a lot of backrow competition.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Bradbury back, 2 year deal
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

He looks to have got on very well at Bristol. A bit surprised to see him return to be honest. I don't know if it has any implications for his Scotland spot.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Phew, I was worried that Edinburgh were running out of back rows
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Teams for the Cardiff game. Is this as strong as we can put out apart from D'Arcy and Mata for Watson?

Cardiff: Cam Winnett; Harri Millard, Mason Grady, Ben Thomas, Theo Cabango; Tinus de Beer, Gonzalo Bertranou; Rhys Carre, Liam Belcher (capt), Keiron Assiratti, Ben Donnell, Teddy Williams, Alex Mann, Ellis Jenkins, Mackenzie Martin.

Replacements: Evan Lloyd, Corey Domachowski, Ciaran Parker, Rory Thornton, Thomas Young, James Botham, Ellis Bevan, Jacob Beetham.

Edinburgh: Wes Goosen; Emiliano Boffelli, Matt Currie, James Lang, Duhan van der Merwe; Ben Healy, Ali Price; Pierre Schoeman, Ewan Ashman, WP Nel, Sam Skinner, Grant Gilchrist (capt), Jamie Ritchie, Hamish Watson, Luke Crosbie.

Replacements: Dave Cherry, Boan Venter, Javan Sebastian, Marshall Sykes, Viliame Mata, Ben Vellacott, Mark Bennett, Chris Dean.

Referee: Frank Murphy (IRFU)

Assistant referees: Elgan Williams, Mike English (WRU)

TMO: Olly Hodges (IRFU)
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

It’s probably about as strong a 23 as have just now, but not necessarily the strongest 15. I’d rather start Vellacott, Mata and maybe Dean over Lang. Obviously Darcy would be in if he was fit
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

24-7 win with three tries, all scored by front row forwards, so once again no bonus points. That pretty much sums up the season for Edinburgh. Only three BPs from 15 games is the worst in the league. FFS, even Zebre and the Dragons have more than that. The lack of bonus points is going to kill us and is quite likely to keep us out of the top 8.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

I’ve seen a rumour on Twitter that Edinburgh are about to sign Mosese Tuipulotu, Sione’s wee brother. Twoipolotu for Scotland?
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I'm sure he got a few Waratahs games last uear, but not noticed him this time round.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

It’s been confirmed today that Mosese Tuipolotu has signed a two year deal with Edinburgh. I hope he’s actually a good player because Edinburgh are crying out for some quality in the centres.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

BaldiePete wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:20 am It’s been confirmed today that Mosese Tuipolotu has signed a two year deal with Edinburgh. I hope he’s actually a good player because Edinburgh are crying out for some quality in the centres.
Won't matter unless we change the way that we are coached to attack and Healy starts playing a bit flatter occasionally.

Does this mean that someone is moving on? I hope it's not Currie and I like Dean as a club stalwart. Anyone know Bennett and Lang's contract situations?
Big D

Post by Big D »

switchskier wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:59 am
BaldiePete wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:20 am It’s been confirmed today that Mosese Tuipolotu has signed a two year deal with Edinburgh. I hope he’s actually a good player because Edinburgh are crying out for some quality in the centres.
Won't matter unless we change the way that we are coached to attack and Healy starts playing a bit flatter occasionally.

Does this mean that someone is moving on? I hope it's not Currie and I like Dean as a club stalwart. Anyone know Bennett and Lang's contract situations?
They are all under contract. Dean and Bennett are OOC in 2025. At that point Bennett will be 32 and Dean 31 and time for one of them to move on. Dean has been a loyal club man but is clearly a distant last place in the pecking order.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Boffelli is out again with a recurrence of the back injury that’s kept him out for much of the season. Goosen has been good this season so no worries there. Currie shifted out to the wing. If this team can’t get a BP win at home against Zebre they should just pack it in and find jobs better suited to whatever skills they have.

Edinburgh (v Zebre at Hive Stadium in the URC on Friday @ 7.35pm): W Goosen; M Currie, M Bennett, J Lang, D van der Merwe; B Healy, A Price; P Schoeman, E Ashman, W Nel, S Skinner, G Gilchrist, J Ritchie, H Watsons, V Mata. Replacements: D Cherry, B Venter, J Sebastian, M Sykes, L Crosbie, B Vellacott, C Scott, C Dean.

Unavailable: Emiliano Boffelli (back), Connor Boyle (back), Tom Dodd (bicep), Darcy Graham (groin), Jake Henry (hamstring), Robin Hislop (knee), Harry Paterson (quad), D’Arcy Rae (ankle), Scott Steele (hip), Nathan Sweeney (groin), Glen Young (ankle).
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Back in Edinburgh and at my first actual game in forever. Halftime and so far so good. Three tries, all through the forwards.

Zebre are pretty bad though and there's not much sign of an attacking game. Thing is, there just doesn't need to be. Hopefully we open up a bit in the second half.

Currie us my guy but he's not a winger. Dont get that selection at all. Is there noone else?