Brentford playing at Twickenham Stadium

Moderator: Puja

Stom

Brentford playing at Twickenham Stadium

Post by Stom »

Big rumour this one, and I don't have a source for it, as it's from a Brentford insider...

But rumours are that the Bees are in negotiations for becoming tennants/part-owners of Twickenham after the new renovations are complete.

Considering the previously mentioned infrastructure problems with football being hosted at Twickenham, this seems far fetched to me. But it does come from a source I trust.
FKAS

Re: Brentford playing at Twickenham Stadium

Post by FKAS »

The Gtech stadium is less than four years old. Now I can imagine them wanting to host the occasional big game at Wembley as the Gtech isn't very big but to abandon a stadium that only opened in 2020 would be an odd call. Perhaps they want to use Twickers for a season whilst they expand the Gtech?
Stom

Post by Stom »

FKAS wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:52 pm The Gtech stadium is less than four years old. Now I can imagine them wanting to host the occasional big game at Wembley as the Gtech isn't very big but to abandon a stadium that only opened in 2020 would be an odd call. Perhaps they want to use Twickers for a season whilst they expand the Gtech?
GTech has a max capacity of 20/22k, and the club would not need to move to expand it.

But if they've been offered the opportunity by the RFU and are now exploring it...

That would explain the rumour, and it would also go in line with the RFU's desire to create more revenue streams...

Not sure I agree with it as a fan of either England rugby or Brentford, but it's an interesting development. Especially logistically.
Puja

Post by Puja »

FKAS wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:52 pm The Gtech stadium is less than four years old. Now I can imagine them wanting to host the occasional big game at Wembley as the Gtech isn't very big but to abandon a stadium that only opened in 2020 would be an odd call. Perhaps they want to use Twickers for a season whilst they expand the Gtech?
Just done a bit of digging and the rumour has the Gtech being sold to QPR as part of the deal. Seems bananas to me - Brentford surely don't stand a chance in hell of getting even 40k support - it would more than double their crowds and still only fill half the stadium!

Surely the local council would have a fit at the idea of having a football team in there? The neighbours only just tolerate rugby because it's "the right kind of people" - can't imagine they'd be sanguine about a Premier League team moving in.

Puja
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Stom wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:37 pm Big rumour this one, and I don't have a source for it, as it's from a Brentford insider...

But rumours are that the Bees are in negotiations for becoming tennants/part-owners of Twickenham after the new renovations are complete.

Considering the previously mentioned infrastructure problems with football being hosted at Twickenham, this seems far fetched to me. But it does come from a source I trust.
Hah, just found you on the Brentford fan board while looking for info!

Puja
Backist Monk
Stom

Post by Stom »

Puja wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:21 pm
Stom wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:37 pm Big rumour this one, and I don't have a source for it, as it's from a Brentford insider...

Hah, just found you on the Brentford fan board while looking for info!

Puja
:D

Well, what can I say.

As you see, it's pretty sparse there on info right now, but the guy called Banana is on the inside, so to speak. Regularly talks with the owner.

The council would have a fit. And the residents.

And as for the increase in size for the Bees...well, seems like it wouldn't be for all games. So maybe a "Big Game" style thing like Quins have. Which would make more sense...

But still, there were major infrastructure concerns last time football was bought up, and AFAIK those have not been "solved".
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

Brentford had a particularly vocal online arm of their fanbase who loathed sharing with a rugby team. Hated rugby and hated the perceived impact on their precious pitch. Cue vociferous celebrations when LI went out of business.

Not going to lie. I'd find them playing at the home of rugby pretty amusing.